Each year, all health funds review their premiums, with any changes commencing 1 April.
As Australia’s largest not-for-profit health fund, we’d prefer to have no increase at all. But we need to balance the growing costs of healthcare to ensure we’re well-placed to cover our members’ needs, while still providing access to quality and timely healthcare.
There are 4 main reasons for the rising cost of private health insurance:
- More people are going to hospital and the demand for health services continues to rise at a fast rate.
- More people are living with chronic health problems, which are costly to manage.
- Advances in health technologies and treatments offer better outcomes but often cost more.
- The incidence and cost of treating mental health concerns are increasing.
We’re doing everything possible to keep premium increases to a minimum. We deliver great value cover and access to timely, high-quality health services. We tailor our offerings to meet member needs and advocate for things our members benefit from most, like greater transparency around out-of-pocket costs.
Uncommon Care in Uncertain Times
The far-reaching impacts of COVID-19 saw us put people before profit like never before. Despite restrictions on our health system we couldn’t previously imagine, we paid out $2.5 billion in hospital and extras benefits in 2019–20.
- provided over $100 million in ongoing member benefits and support
- deferred last year’s premium increase for 6 months
- extended financial help to more than 56,500* members experiencing severe hardship.
We continued to show our members a level of care that’s uncommon, giving members greater flexibility in how and where their care was delivered, many from the convenience and safety of their homes. This included mental health support, telehealth services and out of hospital care.
HOW WE’RE WORKING TO LOWER THE COST OF HEALTH INSURANCE
At HCF, we work closely with industry groups and government to ensure we have a sustainable health system and keep the costs of health cover as low as possible by:
- reducing out-of-pocket costs with our handy Participating Provider and Dr Gap tools to help members make informed choices about their healthcare and what they can expect to pay
- working closely with healthcare providers to make it easier for eligible members to access the services they need and get the best value from their cover. This includes in-home care and hospital substitution programs, as well as our More for You extras providers, so eligible members can get 100% back on selected extras services and general treatments like dental, optical, podiatry and physiotherapy^
- driving reform through partnerships with industry groups and government to influence policy reform to lower healthcare costs and average premium increases
- investing in the future of healthcare through our HCF Research Foundation and the HCF Catalyst program to drive research and innovation in the delivery of affordable and accessible health services for our members and all Australians.
GET MORE FROM YOUR MEMBERSHIP
We believe prevention is the key to good health, so we give members the tools and information to take the right steps early in their health journey to prevent issues arising later. We also want to help our members understand the healthcare system and get the best value from their private health cover with our:
- health management programs: Our customised telehealth programs and support services, like Healthy Weight for Life and COACH, keep eligible members healthy at home.
- online mental health services: We're taking a proactive and holistic approach with our mental health and wellbeing support program to connect eligible members with the help they need faster and easier than before.
- free member health magazine: Health Agenda inspires readers to live their healthiest life. It's packed with insightful articles on popular topics like nutrition, fitness and mental health – simply log in to online member services, opt in to receive your Health Agenda magazine and we’ll pop the next issue in the post.
- free second opinion service: Lean on our network of Aussie-based medical specialists to get a free second opinion on a health condition you’re worried about~.
- loyalty rewards: You don’t have to be unwell to get great value from your cover with our exclusive range of loyalty offers and rewards+ on essentials like groceries or well-deserved treats and experiences with our HCF Thank You program.
Find out more
Frequently asked questions
Read FAQs on your premium changes.
Understanding the costs
How to get the most out of your private health insurance.
PRIVATE HEALTH CARE EXPLAINED
What you need to know about the private health system.
MANAGE YOUR HEALTH
Programs and services that empower you to take charge of your health.
*Uncommon Care in Uncertain Times Financial Year 2019–20.
^100% back from providers in our network is available on selected covers. Waiting periods and annual limits apply.
~You must have had hospital cover for 12 months and a specialist consultation to use this service. Excludes Accident Only Basic cover. Conditions apply.
+Eligibility criteria applies. You can access HCF Thank You offers after you've been a member for a month and if your premiums are up to date. Excludes Ambulance Only and Overseas Visitors Health Cover.