Every year, health funds review all private health insurance policies to determine any premium adjustments to make sure we’re managing the rising costs of healthcare. The Australian Government assesses and approves these adjustments. This includes any adjustments resulting from the Australian Government's Private Health Insurance Rebate. Earlier this year, we deferred the premium increase planned for 1 April 2023 until 1 September 2023, to help our members with cost-of-living pressures. This was our third premium freeze in 3 years.
From 1 September 2023, premiums will be adjusted to help us keep up with the growing costs of hospital, medical and other health-related services. This means you may see a change to your premiums.
REASONS FOR THE RISING COST OF PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE
While we do everything possible to keep premium increases to a minimum, there are several reasons premiums go up including:
- While COVID-19 has meant some health treatments have been delayed, the average cost of health services continues to rise at an unprecedented rate.
- Almost half of Australians are living with chronic health conditions, which are costly and complex to manage.
- Advances in health technologies and treatments offer better outcomes but often cost more.
- The incidence and cost of treating mental health concerns are increasing.
HOW WE’RE WORKING TO LOWER THE COST OF HEALTH INSURANCE
We’re committed to helping our members with the rising cost of living pressures and doing everything we can to keep the cost of health cover as low as possible. Our focus is where it should be – on providing great value health cover to our members, not profits for shareholders.
Since the start of the pandemic, we’ve provided over $536 million in total COVID-19 member benefits and support, including:
- freezing premium increases 3 times over 3 years
- premium relief for all eligible members experiencing financial hardship
- free HealthyMinds mental health check-ins for eligible members*
- COVID-19 related hospital admissions covered at no extra cost on all hospital policies^
- an expanded range of telehealth services, mental health and wellbeing programs and in-home hospital treatments for eligible members
- $309 million in cashbacks to eligible members.
We tailor our offerings to provide members with choice, meet their needs and advocate for things they’ll benefit from most, like greater transparency and guidance around how to minimise out-of-pocket costs. We’ve implemented government reforms to keep dependants covered until they’re 31, ensuring younger people stay protected and helping ease cost-of-living challenges for many households.
Looking ahead, we’re also invested in creating a healthier future for members through research, innovation and investment. This includes offering eligible members fast and easy access to care when and where it’s needed through our range of innovative health and wellbeing programs, telehealth services and a ground-breaking 5-year strategic collaboration with Ramsay Health Care to give members more treatment options, including some options from home for eligible members+.
GET MORE FROM YOUR MEMBERSHIP
We’re always looking for ways to help eligible members be their healthiest self and our range of health management programs and support are designed to do just that.
- Health management programs: Take control of your health with our customised telehealth programs and support services, like Healthy Weight for Life for members who are overweight and have osteoarthritis# or are at risk of developing a chronic condition** and The COACH Program®^^, helping to keep eligible members healthy at home.
- Mental health support: We've expanded our mental health support across selected extras covers. Depending on your level of cover, you can claim towards consultations with a psychologist (if you do not have a Medicare Mental Health Treatment Plan or you have used it up in that calendar year), HCF-approved counsellor or accredited mental health social worker, including group and telehealth consultations. We also provide cover for eligible online cognitive behavioural therapy courses delivered by This Way Up.
- Free second opinion service: Lean on our network of Aussie-based medical specialists to get a free second opinion on a health condition you may be worried about++.
Find out more
Frequently asked questions
Read FAQs on your premium changes.
Understanding the costs
How to get the most out of your private health insurance.
PRIVATE HEALTH CARE EXPLAINED
What you need to know about the private health system.
MANAGE YOUR HEALTH
Programs and services that empower you to take charge of your health.
* 1 HealthyMinds Check-in available per member per calendar year. Service is available free to all members with hospital cover. Excludes extras only cover, Ambulance Only, Accident Only Basic and Overseas Visitors Health Cover.
^ Some claims from Overseas Visitors Health Cover are excluded. Overseas Visitors Health Cover members should check their product information to see if they're covered.
+ Available with HCF contracted providers, subject to member location and hospital cover. Waiting periods apply. You must have a suitable home environment to be treated in.
# Must have held hospital cover that covers joint replacement surgery for 2 months, have knee or hip osteoarthritis and a Body Mass Index of 28 and above. Clinical eligibility applies. See hcf.com.au/hwfl
** Must have hospital cover, have no chronic conditions but have multiple lifestyle risk factors (e.g. smoking, physical inactivity, poor nutrition) and a Body Mass Index of 28 and above. Clinical eligibility applies. See hcf.com.au/hwfl
^^ To be eligible, members must have a heart-related condition or diabetes and must have had hospital cover that includes heart conditions and vascular system for at least 12 months. Excludes Ambulance Only, Accident Only Basic cover and Overseas Visitors Health Cover. Clinical eligibility applies.
++ You must have had hospital cover for 12 months and a specialist consultation to use this service. Excludes Accident Only Basic cover. Conditions apply.