Choosing a Specialist

Your doctor will be able to recommend and refer you to a plastic and reconstructive surgeon who can perform the surgery.

You may be happy to accept the advice of your doctor or you may like to investigate your choices.

You can locate a surgeon specialising in plastic and reconstructive surgery through the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Look for one who specialises in plastic and reconstructive surgery.

Questions for the doctor may help you understand the treatment. Practical issues you may also like to consider are which hospital(s) a particular doctor operates in and their fees.

To find out which plastic and reconstructive surgeons participate in our Medicover No Gap or Known Gap* arrangement

*Participation in HCF’s medical gap initiative is at the doctor’s discretion. We can’t guarantee these doctors will participate in our gap arrangements for all members or services. Where you will incur any out-of-pocket costs the doctor(s) should advise you of these costs and obtain your Informed Financial Consent so you can make an informed decision before going ahead with the surgery. Members are encouraged to confirm with their doctor(s) whether they will use HCF’s medical gap initiatives for their treatment

Questions for your doctor

What you should be asking before going ahead with skin graft and flap surgery


Information is provided by HCF in good faith for the convenience of members. It is not an endorsement or recommendation of any form of treatment nor is it a substitute for medical advice, and you should rely on the advice of your treating doctors in relation to all matters concerning your health. Every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information, however HCF takes no responsibility for any injury, loss, damage or other consequences of the use of this information.