The best easy (and healthy) lentil soup recipe
Hearty, comforting and full of protein, this simple-to-cook and healthy lentil soup has a delicate hum of spice that partners perfectly with cooler weather.
Based on the classic Iranian soup called adasi, this recipe is ideal for a cosy dinner at home, or a quick, healthy lunch at work. Flavoured with warming ginger, black pepper and turmeric, it’s delicious and surprisingly easy to make. If batch cooking, you can double the recipe and store extra soup in the freezer for 3–4 weeks.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2.5 cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp tomato purée (paste)
- 2 x 400 g tins of green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 650 mL (2 ¾ cups) vegetable stock
- A handful of finely chopped dill, plus extra for garnish
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Sea salt
- Bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, then add the ginger and cook for a further 5-7 minutes, still stirring, until soft, golden and mellow.
- Add the cumin, black pepper, turmeric, tomato purée and a good pinch of salt to the pan and mix well. Pour in the lentils and stock and mix well. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, give the soup a pulse to break it down a little. You can adjust the texture according to your tastes.
- Put the dill and lemon juice into the pan and mix well. Check the seasoning and add salt to taste. Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil, extra dill on the side and plenty of bread for dunking.
Image and text from Fast Feasts by John Gregory-Smith, photography by Nassima Rothacker. Welbeck RRP $39.99.
First published April 2022
Slow-cooker Spanish lamb
This slow cooked tender lamb dish with cheeky chorizo is the perfect winter weekend dinner.
Baked chicken and mushroom risotto
Not only does this warming dish taste delicious, there’s no stirring required.
Impressive vegetable bake
This simple and tasty vegan celebration is equally at home as a main meal or side dish.
The quickest biryani
Spicy, easy and a crowd-pleaser, this Indian dish is a surprising midweek dinner solution.