This simple rice dish is perfect for a tasty Indian midweek dinner.
- 200g (1 cup) basmati rice
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 450g lean minced lamb or beef
- 2 rounded tbs Indian curry paste
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 10g coriander leaves, chopped, plus leaves to garnish
- lime wedges, to serve
- Rinse the rice with water, soak for 10 minutes, then drain. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter and fry the onion for 10–12 minutes until starting to turn golden.
- Add the lamb or beef and cook for 4–5 minutes until browned; drain any excess fat. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then add the rice and stock. Simmer, covered, until the rice is tender.
- Fold in the carrot and chopped coriander. Garnish with extra coriander and serve with lime wedges.
This is an edited extract from Skillet by Anna Helm Baxter, $29.99, published by Hardie Grant Media.