Recipe: Easy healthy egg muffin cups
These healthy egg cups allow you to be as creative with ingredients as you like, so you can change up the flavours according to your family’s preferences. Try mushroom, spinach, and goat cheese or roasted red capsicum and feta cheese.
Makes: 12 egg cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Non-stick cooking spray (olive, coconut or avocado oil)
- 10 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk (dairy, soy, or nut)
- onion powder, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium capsicums (any colour), diced
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or two six-cup muffin tins with the cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- Equally divide the capsicum, broccoli and cheese among the muffin cups.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the vegetables, filling each cup three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the egg cups set and a toothpick inserted into the centre of a cup comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before taking the cups out of the tins.
- Place three egg cups each into four containers. Store in the refrigerator for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months. To reheat, warm the egg cups in the oven at 170°C for 6–7 minutes until heated through. If using the microwave, prick egg cups with a fork, cover and heat for 30–40 seconds.
Images and text from The Visual Guide to Easy Meal Prep by Erin Romeo, photography by Alison Bickel Photography. Race Point Publishing RRP $29.99.
CHOCOLATE QUINOA SQUARES
This recipe makes a great afternoon pick-me-up or dessert.
PEANUT BUTTER MUESLI BARS
Pack these oat and nut filled muesli bars in your bag for a quick snack on the go.
HEALTHY CHOCCIE CAKE
Dietitian Fiona Tuck shares a favourite recipe from her book The Forensic Nutritionist.
QUICK AND DELICIOUS INDIAN BIRYANI
This quick and tasty rice dish is perfect to spice up any midweek dinner.