Online programs to lessen the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- THIS WAY UP courses have helped many participants control their symptoms
- A course costs less than a single visit to a mental health practitioner
- You can refer yourself, or go through your GP
THIS WAY UP is a program run by the Clinical Research Unit for Anxiety and Depression at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney.
The clinic has created six Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) courses to lessen the symptoms of either:
- Depression & Anxiety
- Shyness (Social Phobia)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Are you eligible?
THIS WAY UP is open to HCF members aged 18 or over who are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, and who’ve held hospital cover for at least 12 months.
How does it work?
A course is made up of six online lessons to complete in your own time. You’ll learn practical skills to lessen your symptoms, read real-life recovery stories and get activities to complete between lessons.
The program is proven to be effective – 80% of participants report an improvement in their symptoms on completion of their course.
What’s the cost?
A course costs $59.
How long does it take?
You’ll have 90 days to complete your course – most people take around 10-12 weeks. It’s best to do one lesson every week or two to give yourself time to practice between lessons.
How to enrol
You can refer yourself to the course that best meets your needs, or ask your GP to refer you.
If you refer yourself, a THIS WAY UP clinic staff member will track your progress – as demand is high you may find you’re placed on a wait list.
If your GP refers you they’ll monitor your progress – this could mean faster access.
- Email THIS WAY UP with your name, phone number and HCF membership number. The clinic will let us know you’ve chosen a course
- You’ll receive an email containing your access code and directions on how to register
- Go to THIS WAY UP to register and pay for your course
- Your doctor can refer you directly to the course that’s right for you – if they’re not registered with the clinic they can do so at THIS WAY UP. (If you live in Sydney, they may refer you to the Anxiety Disorders Clinic at St Vincent’s so a specialist can decide if you’re likely to benefit from one of the courses.)
- Your GP will give you a password to register
- Go to THIS WAY UP, select your course and follow the sign-up instructions to register and pay for your course
The program is run by St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney Limited (This Way Up Clinic) for and on behalf of HCF. If you access this service you will be required to provide some personal information (including health and other sensitive information) to This Way Up Clinic.
The personal information that you provide to This Way Up Clinic is used and disclosed only for the purpose of delivering and evaluating the program. If you do not provide this information, This Way Up Clinic may not be able to provide you with the services which form the program.
This Way Up Clinic will not disclose your personal information to HCF other than your name, date of birth, gender, the date of participation in the This Way Up Clinic Program and membership number in order for HCF to evaluate the service.
With your permission This Way Up Clinic may disclose your personal information to your regular doctor or other healthcare provider.
For more information about how HCF or This Way Up Clinic handle your personal information, including how to access or correct your personal information or make a complaint and how HCF or This Way Up Clinic will deal with such a complaint, go to:
Access medical resources
Second opinions, heart checks, hospital safety and quality stats and hospital procedure guides.
Looking after yourself is easier with 100% back on six key extras.
Member offers & discounts
Enjoy savings on our products and other special offers.
Access HCF resources on the go with our range of apps.