Roast citrus-herb chicken and gravy
There’s nothing like a tasty roast chicken recipe to bring the family together on a weekend.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours + standing time
- 2kg whole roasting chicken
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 orange, quartered
- 3 thyme sprigs, plus extra for garnish
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 heads unpeeled garlic, halved horizontally
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups reduced-salt chicken broth
- Heat oven to 220°C with shelf in centre position. Pat the chicken dry and then place on a lightly oiled rack set inside a heavy roasting pan. Tuck the wings under the chicken and fill the cavity with the lemon, orange, thyme and rosemary. Tie the legs together with kitchen string, then rub the chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 190°C and roast for another 45 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan, cut side up, and continue to roast 45 minutes to 1 hour longer, turning the pan every so often, until a thermometer inserted into the meatiest part of a thigh (without touching bone) registers 74°C.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Reserve the roasted garlic. Remove the rack from the pan and transfer any juices to a heatproof measuring jug, putting the pan aside. Skim fat from the juices and reserve 1½ tbs fat. Add the flour and reserved fat to the pan and stir together. Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes, stirring, until golden. Add juices and broth, whisking until smooth. Simmer gravy about 4 minutes, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm. (Makes about 1 cup.)
- Cut the string from the chicken. Remove and discard the fruit and herbs. Carve the meat and serve with gravy and the roasted garlic. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Prevention magazine.
CAJUN BLACKENED SALMON MOJITO
With a funky Cuban slant, this salmon recipe is perfect to whip up when you’re in a hurry but still want a delicious dinner. You can bulk it up with extra salad ingredients or veggies.
PORK STEAK WITH FIGS AND SOFT POLENTA
Australian chef Lyndey Milan shares a delicious foolproof recipe with juicy pork, creamy polenta and luscious figs.
ASIAN-STYLE MEATBALLS WITH SOY GINGER SAUCE
This easy-to-make winter warmer is an ideal meal for two, or scale up the recipe for a full family feast that can be gluten-free if needed.
SLOW COOKER SPANISH LAMB WITH BEANS
Savour the tenderness of this lamb dish with sliced chorizo adding a Spanish twist. If you don’t have a slow cooker, use a good quality saucepan with a lid, over a low heat.
Why choose HCF?
You get more back
Because we're not-for-profit, we pay more back in benefits than the industry average*. That's uncommon care.
Free second opinion
Our network of medical specialists means you can confidently make the best decision for your health^.
100% back on some extras
You could get a 100% back on a dental check-up as well as a no-gap first visit to the physio, chiro or osteo+.
Health cover that’s right for you
We've been voted Australia’s most-trusted health fund 2 years running#.
This communication contains information which is copyright to The Hospitals Contribution Fund of Australia Limited (HCF). It should not be copied, disclosed or distributed without the authority of HCF. Except as required by law, HCF does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that this communication is free from errors, virus, interception or interference. All reasonable efforts have been taken to ensure the accuracy of material contained on this website. It’s not intended that this website be comprehensive or render advice. HCF members should rely on authoritative advice they seek from qualified practitioners in the health and medical fields as the information provided on this website is general information only and may not be suitable to individual circumstances or health needs. Please check with your health professional before making any dietary, medical or other health decisions as a result of reading this website.
*HCF's Financial Year in Review 2018-19.
^You must have had hospital cover for 12 months and a specialist consultation to use this service. Excludes Accident Only Basic cover. Conditions apply.
+Depending on your level of cover and annual limits, we can help you find an extras provider in our network to get 100% back on a dental check-up as well as a no-gap first visit to a physio, chiro or osteo.
#SOURCE: Roy Morgan, Net Trust Survey, 2018 & 2019.