Sweet potato, crab and dill cakes
Easy to whip up and appetising, these yummy crab cakes are bound to be a summer favourite.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serves: 1 (as a main)
- 200g orange sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp drained baby capers, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 green shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp multigrain dried breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 170g can crab meat, drained
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- lemon wedges, to serve
- 20g snow pea sprouts, trimmed
- ½ cucumber, cut into small chunks
- 2 radishes, cut into wedges
- Put sweet potato in a steamer basket insert over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Cover and cook for 8–10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl and mash until smooth. Add lemon zest, caper, dill, shallots and breadcrumbs. Add ⅓ (60g) the crab, reserving remaining crab for another use (see cook’s tip, below). Season with pepper and mix until well combined. Divide mixture into three and shape into patties.
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add patties and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- To make salad, put all ingredients in a small bowl and toss to combine. Put crab cakes on a serving plate. Sprinkle with pepper and serve with lemon wedges and salad.
Cook’s tip: Keep the remaining crab to use in a salad or sandwich. Alternatively, double the remaining ingredients in the recipe above to make this a meal for two. If you prefer, use a 95g can of tuna in springwater, drained, instead of crab, and substitute parsley for dill.
Recipe courtesy of Diabetic Living.