Caramelised vegetable tarts
These tasty tarts have a real wow factor. Make them in advance for lunch with friends and you can keep leftovers for the next day.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- sprinkle thyme
- 6 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1–2 tsp brown sugar
- splash balsamic vinegar
- 2 handfuls baby spinach (60g)
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- cooking spray
- 40g ricotta, light
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 40g feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a medium non-stick frypan heat olive oil, turn heat to medium and cook onions for 10 minutes, turning down heat to low so they don’t burn. Season with a little salt.
- Add diced zucchini to pan, cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Sprinkle thyme over mixture.
- Chop your mushrooms and add to the pan, cook for a couple more minutes. Add a little water, 1–2 tbsp.
- Make a little room in the pan and add the sugar and vinegar directly on the pan and let sizzle then incorporate with the entire mixture. You can add a little more thyme, taste before adding. Then add spinach leaves and cook a couple more minutes until spinach has wilted. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile lay out one layer of filo pastry onto bench, spray with cooking spray and repeat process with the four sheets.
- Cut the sheets into four and lay into your little pie or tart tins, scrunching the edge, then give a quick cooking spray over the edges.
- Place ricotta in a small bowl with ½ tsp. crushed garlic and ½ tsp. Dijon mustard, season with salt and pepper, mix well. Spoon into base of each pie dish then place vegetable mixture on top. Crumble feta over the vegetables then bake your caramelised vegetable tarts for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy with a side salad.
Recipe courtesy of weightloss.com.au.