Spiced chicken and tomato skewers
These tasty skewers look appealing if you’re entertaining, and make a great lunchtime meal or dinner side dish, served with a salad.
Preparation time: 15 minutes + marinating time
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 3 tbs safflower (or sunflower) oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- ¾ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 565g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 340g whole cherry tomatoes
- 4 tsp chopped fresh chives
- butter lettuce leaves, to serve
- Mix the safflower oil, garlic, turmeric, cumin, ginger, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, cayenne, allspice and the nutmeg in a large bowl. Add the chicken and the cherry tomatoes and toss well.
- Cover the bowl and then marinate the mixture in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or overnight, if you have the time.
- Meanwhile, soak 12 to 14 wooden skewers in water.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Skewer the chicken and tomatoes, alternating on the skewer. Grill for about 8 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Arrange the skewers on a platter over the lettuce leaves and garnish with the chives. Serve.
Recipe courtesy of Prevention magazine.