Summer fruit cobbler
Who needs cake? This vitamin C-packed mix of stone fruit and berries will have you coming back for seconds.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups sliced fresh nectarines or peaches
- 1 cup sliced hulled strawberries
- 3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- icing sugar (optional)
- Heat the oven to 190°C with an oven rack in the centre. Coat a 20cm or 22cm oven-safe cast-iron frying pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla extract to the egg mixture and stir well. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined, then pour into the prepared frying pan.
- Toss the fresh fruit with the lemon juice and spoon evenly over the batter. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and set in the middle and the fruit is tender. Cool slightly before cutting into wedges. Dust the top with icing sugar and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Prevention magazine.