Mushroom pesto lasagne
Filling up with delicious comforting foods doesn’t have to be sinful. This easy to prepare recipe is packed full of vegies and flavour.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1kg mushrooms (mixed varieties), chopped
- 30g sliced porcini mushrooms, soaked
- 4 zucchini, coarsely grated
- 2 tbs oatmeal
- 1 cup mushroom or vegetable stock
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbs flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 4 tbs good-quality basil pesto
- 5 sheets wholemeal lasagne
- 1 cup (30g) finely grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat ¼ cup of the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, then add all the mushrooms and cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the grated zucchini and oatmeal and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, salt and some pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, until smooth. Stir in the pesto.
- Spoon half the mushroom mixture into a 40 x 21cm ovenproof dish. Cover with half the lasagne sheets, then half the pesto sauce. Repeat. Sprinkle with the parmesan and bake for 30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Judy Davis and Prevention magazine.