Choosing a Specialist

Your doctor will be able to recommend and refer you to a fertility specialist or clinic where you can have IVF.

You may be happy to accept the advice of your doctor or you may like to investigate your choices.

You can locate a fertility specialist through the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Look for one with the subspecialty of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.

Questions for your doctor  may help you understand your treatment, and, if necessary, decide on a fertility specialist. Practical issues you may also like to consider are which hospital(s) a particular fertility specialist operates from, and what their fees are. 

To find out which fertility specialists participate in our Medicover No Gap or Known Gap * arrangement:

*Participation in HCF’s medical gap initiative is at the doctor’s discretion. We can’t guarantee all doctors will participate in our gap arrangements for all members or services. Where you will incur any out-of-pocket costs the doctor(s) should advise you of these costs and obtain your consent to charge you so you can make an informed decision before going ahead with the procedure. Members are encouraged to confirm with their doctor(s) whether they will use HCF’s medical gap initiatives for their treatment.

Questions for your doctor

What you should be asking before going ahead with IVF.


Information is provided by HCF in good faith for the convenience of members. It is not an endorsement or recommendation of any form of treatment nor is it a substitute for medical advice, and you should rely on the advice of your treating doctors in relation to all matters concerning your health. Every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information, however HCF takes no responsibility for any injury, loss, damage or other consequences of the use of this information.