8 ways to keep your kids active
Tearing the children away from their screens is easier than you think.
Getting the kids up and moving has the added benefit of keeping you active too, which helps the whole family stay fitter and healthier.
Brisbane Kids offers these practical tips for making exercise something to look forward to.
- Just dance. Invest in a glitter ball from the discount shop, close the curtains, turn up the volume and get the whole family dancing to your favourite songs.
- Play a chasing game outdoors. This is perfect during the cooler months or when the mercury drops in the early evening.
- Hit the beach. Go for a long walk on the sand beachcombing for treasures then cool off with a swim. Pack a picnic and a beach cricket or volleyball set, too.
- Get gardening. If the whole family is working together, it'll feel more like a project than a chore.
- Park life. Meet up with friends, take the Frisbee or simply enjoy the fresh air with a nature walk.
- On your bike. Another great one for meeting up with people. If it’s more like a social activity, the kids won’t even know they’re working out. Find your local bike tracks and start pedalling.
- Playground fun. Park playgrounds have come a long way from swings and roundabouts. Many offer amazing equipment that inadvertently provides a full body workout and burns off all that excess energy.
- Skater culture. Rollerblading, roller skating or ice skating combine core strength with cardio. Make sure everyone is wearing the right protective gear and be prepared to take a few falls yourself.