Asian-style short ribs
This delicious dinner with a healthy twist is perfect for a Sunday night. It’s a real crowd pleaser too!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 7 hours
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1.3 kg short beef ribs, with bone (about 4 pieces), trimmed of fat
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium tamari
- 7cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbs sambal oelek
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch shallots, sliced and divided
- 1½ cups water
- 350g rice noodles
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Coat the base and sides of a slow-cooker pot with olive oil.
- Place the ribs in pot.
- Combine honey, tamari, ginger, sambal oelek, garlic, three quarters of the shallots and water; then pour over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low heat until ribs are tender when tested with a fork, 7 to 8 hours.
- Transfer ribs to a chopping board and remove meat from bones. Skim fat from pot and discard. Reserve juices.
- Cook noodles as per packet directions; drain.
- Toss noodles with 1 cup reserved juices. Divide among 6 serving bowls.
- Top with meat and remaining shallots, drizzle with more juices and garnish with lime wedges.
Tip: Sambal oelek is a very spicy chilli sauce. Find it in the Asian section of the supermarket.
Recipe courtesy of Prevention magazine.