Banana Raspberry Nut Loaf Recipe
The fruit loaves you’d typically find in a cafe are usually made with white flour and refined oils, and are loaded with added sugar. This super-tasty version uses buckwheat flour, nut meal and healthy extra virgin olive oil. You can slice and freeze it in individual portions and even thaw it directly in the toaster for a quick snack.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- 120g buckwheat flour
- 100g hazelnut meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- ¼ cup mild-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 10 x 20cm loaf tin with baking paper, allowing the paper to extend over the sides.
- Sift the flour, hazelnut meal, baking powder and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the mashed bananas with the honey, eggs and oil. Stir into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Reserve about 12 raspberries for decoration. Gently stir the remaining raspberries through the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the tin, then top with the reserved raspberries. Bake for about 50–60 minutes or until the loaf is cooked through when tested with a skewer. If the skewer comes out sticky, bake the loaf for a further 5–10 minutes. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Images and text from The Feel-Good Family Food Plan by Dr Joanna McMillan with Melissa Clark, photography by Alan Benson. Murdoch Books RRP $35.00.
SIMPLE CHIA PUDDING POTS
Donna Hay’s recipe makes for a great breakfast, snack or dessert.
HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS
Hungry kids want food fast. Avert a junk food feeding frenzy with these snacks
PEANUT BUTTER MUESLI BARS
Pack these oat and nut filled muesli bars in your bag for a quick snack on the go.
STICKY DATE DOUGHNUTS
Not only are these delicious, they’re also dairy free, gluten free, nut free and vegan.