Apple, blueberry & rhubarb crumble
Warm up the cool nights with this easy apple crumble recipe full of seasonal fruit, healthy oats and nuts, and a sugar and spice kick.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 200g apples, peeled and diced
- 300g (2 cups) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 rhubarb stalks
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder.
- 160g almonds or ground almonds
- 30g (1 oz/½ cup) shredded coconut
- 50g (1¾ oz/½ cup) organic rolled (porridge) oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon hulled tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- dollop of coconut yoghurt.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°C) fan-forced.
- Heat a large saucepan on medium heat. Add all the fruit layer ingredients to the pan with 60ml (¼ cup) of water. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid begins to thicken.
- Blitz the whole almonds in a food processor until a meal is formed. Combine all the dry crumble ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Add the tahini and maple syrup. Stir and crumble with your hands until evenly combined.
- Once the fruit is done, spread it evenly over the base of a baking dish.
- Top with the crumble and place in the oven for 10–15 minutes. Dust with the cinnamon and serve with coconut yoghurt.
Images and text from Whole by Natural Harry: Down to Earth Plant-Based Wholefood Recipes by Harriet Birrell, Hardie Grant Books.