Poached Pear and Fig Salad with Caramelised Walnuts
A modern Mediterranean salad that combines fresh figs, poached pear and leafy greens, topped with caramelised walnuts that are rich in plant omega-3 fats.
- 2 brown or green pears, quartered
- 1.5 cups (375mL) sweet white wine, such as Moscato
- Ground nutmeg
- 1x 60g bag of mixed lettuce leaves
- Small handful of rocket leaves
- 200g broccolini
- 1 tbsp pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp toasted or caramelised walnuts
- 4 fresh figs, quartered
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20g blue cheese, crumbled
1. Put the pears and wine in a saucepan over high heat. Add a few pinches of nutmeg, then bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the pears using a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Divide the salad leaves, broccolini, olives, walnuts and figs between two serving plates. Arrange the poached pears on top of each salad, then drizzle with the olive oil and apple cider vinegar, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Crumble the blue cheese on top before serving.
Images and text from The Heart Health Guide by Dr Catherine Itsiopoulos. Pan Macmillan RRP $34.99.
You can make endless variations of this chicken dish, and it works with lots of different vegies.
The fresh, herby yoghurt dressing paired with the spicy, nutty and savoury flavour of the stuffing in a crispy eggplant skin is just magic.
Quinoa, Almond and Mint Salad
Sweet raisins, crunchy salted almonds and fresh herbs form an irresistible combination of flavours in this Moroccan salad.
Apple, Blueberry and Rhubarb Crumble
This easy apple crumble recipe is full of healthy fruits, oats and nuts, along with a kick of sugar and spice.