Japanese-style chicken noodle soup
This easy-to-prepare soup takes advantage of autumn produce and packs a lot of flavour into a healthy bowl.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 125ml (½ cup) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp mirin (see Cook’s tip)
- 2cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 1 small carrot, cut into thin strips
- 90g Obento Soba Noodles
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- ½ small fresh red chilli, thinly sliced, optional
- Bring water, stock, soy sauce, mirin, ginger and garlic to a simmer over medium heat. Add chicken and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, turning occasionally, for 10-12 minutes or until meat is just cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Return stock to a simmer. Add carrot and noodles. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add cabbage and simmer for a further minute.
- Shred chicken and add to pan with spinach. Cook for 30 seconds or until spinach wilts. Serve topped with fresh chilli, if using.
Per serve: 1601kJ, protein 42g, total fat 5.1g (sat. fat 1.4g), carbs 35g, fibre 11g, sodium 783mg
You’ll find mirin in the Asian section of most supermarkets.
Recipe courtesy of Diabetic Living magazine. For more recipes go to diabeticliving.com.au