Peanut butter muesli bars
Pack these oat and nut filled muesli bars in your bag for a quick snack on the go.
MAKES ABOUT 12
- 2 cups (200g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (160g) almonds
- 1/2 cup (60g) walnuts
- 1 cup (155g) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup (75g) sesame seeds
- 1 cup (55g) flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup (175g) honey
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (215g) peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large egg white, whisked until frothy
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup (40g) wheatgerm
- 1 cup (170g) raisins, dried cranberries, apricots or figs, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 38 x 26 x 3cm cake tin with baking paper. Combine the oats, almonds, walnuts, seeds and coconut on a baking tray and bake for about 15 minutes or until the coconut is just turning golden. Tip the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the honey, brown sugar, peanut butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan and bring just to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir the beaten egg white and salt into the honey mixture, then pour into the oat mixture, stir in the wheatgerm and dried fruit and mix well. Scrape the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin before cutting into bars or squares.
Images and text from A Basket by the Door by Sophie Hansen, Murdoch Books, $39.99.