We want you to get the most out of your health insurance. Here are 5 ways to do this, and take care of yourself along the way.
1 – Know what you’re covered for
Health insurance should give you peace of mind that you’ll get the treatment you need when you need it. So please read your product summary carefully to make sure you understand what is, and isn’t, covered.
If you have hospital insurance, you also need to understand what it can’t cover, at any Australian health fund.
It’s a good idea to review your cover now and then to make sure it’s still right for you, as your needs may change over time.
2 – Understand the costs
No one wants to deal with unexpected out-of-pocket costs. Getting treated by providers in the HCF network can help you avoid bill shock.
- Hospital – find doctors and hospitals in our network and ask about all the costs involved in your care before you’re treated. If you’re in any doubt about what you can claim for, call us on 13 13 34. It’s our job to help you make sense of it.
- Extras – find participating extras providers for dental, optical, physio, chiro, osteo, podiatry and hearing aids. Then check how much you’ll get back per service and what your annual limits are. They renew each calendar year.
3 – Use our hospital support tools
We know the prospect of going to hospital can be daunting. And if you’re worried about your health, making decisions about your care can be financially and emotionally stressful.
We’ve created a range of tools to help you make informed choices. They include:
- Preparing for hospital – detailed information on a range of common hospital procedures (including the likely costs).
- Hospital safety and quality check – find out how relevant hospitals have performed.
- Second opinions – if you’re unsure about a diagnosis or treatment plan, we’ll organise a free second medical opinion, provided you’ve had hospital cover for 12 months.
4 – Be proactive about your health
HCF health cover isn’t just a safety net if you’re sick or injured. It can also help you to stay well. Here are just some of ways we help our members put their health first:
- Health Management Programs – depending on your type and level of cover, you may be able to claim for services like weight management programs, childbirth education, learn to swim classes and bowel cancer testing.
- Health Agenda hub – read the latest about common health conditions, treatments, physical and mental health, nutrition, work / life balance and more.
- 100% back on extras – using HCF participating providers for services like dental, optical and physio can save you money.
- Free heart health checks – if you have extras cover you can get blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar readings at selected HCF branches. Check the calendar to find out when our heart health check booth will be at your nearest branch.
- Online GP appointments – our partnership with GP2U, a convenient online video GP service, makes it easier for you to access telehealth services.
5 – Start saving
- Travel – flights, hotels, car hire, and more.
- Entertainment – concert and movie tickets, tech, experiences, and more.
- Healthy living – gym memberships, sportswear, food delivery, and more.
- Everyday savings – groceries, eating out, pharmacy, fuel, and more.
Avoiding unexpected doctors’ costs
Understanding doctors' fees and charges is the key to avoiding bill shock.
Inpatient vs outpatient services
What you may be able to claim for, and when health insurance definitely can’t cover you.
How to be your own health advocate
How being an active participant in your health care can help you live a longer, healthier life.
Claiming for prescription medication
What you need to know about claiming for medicines through private health insurance.