7 ways to get the most value from your health cover
From 100% back on popular extras to joining our health and wellbeing programs, here are seven key ways to get more value from your health cover.
Your health is your most precious asset. We’re here to help you make the right choices to take charge of it, and that means showing you how to get the most value out of your health cover.
We offer more than just health cover. We also offer a range of tools, health and wellbeing programs and services that help you be proactive about your family’s health, and we want you to make the most of them.
Here are seven questions to help you get the most out of your health and your extras cover before it refreshes on 1 January.
1. Have you made the most of your extras?
Now is a great time to book in your family’s check-ups and make sure you use your extras cover before the end of the year. Any unused benefits reset on 1 January.
Our providers are Australia-wide and the extensive network makes sure you and your whole family can access affordable healthcare.
Our More for You programs support eligible members by giving them 100% back* (depending on your cover and annual limits) on some of the most popular ‘extras’ services, like dental, optical, physio and osteo, when they see a provider in our network.
2. Have you used our Find a Provider tool for more savings?
We know the rising cost of living is top of mind for Aussie families, so to keep your out-of-pocket expenses down when visiting a dentist, physio, optical provider, chiro or specialist, our Find a Provider tool should be the first place you look.
We’ve partnered with thousands of medical specialists and extras providers around the country to make sure the care you access is high quality and affordable.
Our industry first search tool lets you enter the type of doctor or More for You program provider you’re looking for in our network, and your preferred hospital or location. Once you find providers near you, you can read their biography, locations, contact details and what your out-of-pocket costs are likely to be.
3. Are you looking after your health and wellbeing?
We firmly believe health cover shouldn’t be just something you use when you need to go to hospital. Our health and wellbeing programs are designed to help you stay on top of your health, get tailored support where and when you need it, and help you along your health journey – whatever that may look like. Many of our programs are preventive, helping you reduce the risk of more serious conditions further down the track.
Depending on your level of cover, you and your family may be able to join programs and services at no extra cost, including:
- Discounted access to the evidence-based Sleepfit app, which can help identify sleep issues, recommend improvements and offer access to personalised tools to improve the quality of your sleep. Eligible members with hospital or extras cover can get a 20% discount on a 12-month Sleepfit subscription^.
- Healthy Weight for Life, weight-management programs based on medical evidence designed to support you to reach and maintain a healthy weight. These programs are available to members who are overweight and have osteoarthritis+ or are at risk of developing a chronic condition#.
- Eligible members have access to digital mental health services for the whole family, including PSYCH2U**, Calm Kid Central^^ and This Way Up##.
- The COACH Program, a free four to six-month phone-coaching program for eligible members*** with heart conditions or diabetes that can help improve your health.
- Access to the Snug app^^^, which keeps track of your family’s medical history, procedures, vaccinations, medications and even fitness stats, all in one place.
It’s important to know what you’re covered for, so you can maximise everything we offer that helps you stay well and lead a healthier lifestyle. Some of our programs have eligibility criteria, for more information download the My Membership app, log in to online member services or call 13 13 34 and we can help with any questions.
4. Do you know you could get at-home hospital treatments?
Nothing beats the comfort of being in your own home, especially when you’re unwell. That’s why we offer access to some at-home hospital treatments if you have eligible cover. These treatments at home are called hospital-substitute treatment+++(or HST) because the treatment at home takes the place of the treatment you would have had in hospital. Where your doctor permits it, you could have the following treatments at home:
- intravenous therapy antibiotics
- complex wound care with negative pressure wound therapy
- rehabilitation after a hip or knee replacement
- IV chemotherapy.
Challenging the way care is usually provided so you feel more comfortable and cared for is something we prioritise for our members. That’s why we like to call it Uncommon Care.
5. Have you saved on everyday essentials with HCF Thank You?
As a way of thanking you and helping you save more money, we offer eligible members### a range of exclusive offers and discounts through HCF Thank You. This includes discounts on essentials like petrol and groceries and up to 50% off movie tickets when you purchase an e-Gift card from our portal. The longer you stay with us, the better your thank-you gifts get.
6. Have you used our free resources for your family’s health?
Caring for your family’s health needs can feel like a full-time job but it can be a little easier when you know you’re not alone, and you’ve got easy access to the support and information you need. That’s why we’ve created helpful resources and tools.
- Preparing for hospital tool – it can feel overwhelming if you or a loved one is going into hospital for surgery, with a thousand questions swirling in your mind. This tool has information and explainer videos for 47 common procedures, including IVF, hip replacements, cataract surgery and more, so you can know what to expect, and feel empowered to ask informed questions of your doctor before your procedure.
- Our Health Agenda hub, which is packed full of free articles for you and your family on a range of health topics, plus lots of healthy recipes to try at home.
- The Navigating Parenthood podcast, covering a range of topics and challenges that parents face, with parents and experts sharing their stories.
7. Do you have a pet?
Did you know we also offer a range of affordable pet insurance~ for your furry friends? HCF Pet Insurance can help with the cost of your cat or dog's eligible vet bills (providing up to 80% back)~. With a range of optional extras, you can pick a policy that's right for your pet's life stage and needs. HCF members can save up to 15% on pet insurance.
Word by Carolyn Tate
Published November 2022
Health programs for families
These health management programs are designed to support pregnant members, new parents and families.
Pre-existing conditions explained
What is a pre-existing condition? And how can it affect your private health insurance? Let’s find out.
HCF cover FAQs
We demystify hospital and extras cover.
Reducing out-of-pocket costs
HCF’s Chief Medical Officer Dr Andrew Cottrill explains how HCF was one of the first healthcare funds to make out-of-pocket costs more transparent for our members.
* 100% back from providers in our No-Gap network is available on selected covers. Waiting periods and annual limits apply. Providers are subject to change. We recommend that you confirm the provider prior to booking your appointment. See hcf.com.au/100back
^ Excludes Overseas Visitors Health Cover. The cost is $23.90 for 12 months for HCF members (RRP is $29.90).
+ Must have held hospital cover that covers joint replacement surgery for 2 months, have knee or hip osteoarthritis and a Body Mass Index of 28 and above. Clinical eligibility applies. See hcf.com.au/hwfl
# Must have hospital cover, multiple lifestyle risk factors (e.g. smoking, physical inactivity, poor nutrition) and a Body Mass Index of 28 and above. Clinical eligibility applies. See hcf.com.au/hwfl
** Must have HCF gold level hospital cover for at least 2 months. Eligibility is based on clinical need as assessed by PSYCH2U.
^^ Excludes Accident Only Basic cover and Overseas Visitors Health Cover.
## This service is not affiliated or associated with HCF in any way. You should make your own enquiries to determine whether this service is suitable for you. If you decide to use this service, it’ll be on the basis that HCF won’t be responsible, and you won’t hold HCF responsible, for any liability that may arise from that use.
*** To be eligible, members must have a heart-related condition or diabetes and must have had hospital cover that includes heart conditions and vascular system for at least 12 months. Excludes Ambulance Only, Accident Only Basic cover and Overseas Visitors Health Cover. Clinical eligibility applies.
^^^ All HCF members above the age of 14, who hold any HCF health insurance product (excluding Overseas Visitors Health Cover) are eligible for access to a customised Snug app at no cost until 30 June 2024. HCF may choose to continue to pay the cost after 30 June 2024, but if not your account will revert to the standard offer and charges will apply. Members can downgrade to the Snug Lite version at no charge. See hcf.com.au/snughealth
+++ You must be a current member of HCF, have served waiting periods for pre-existing conditions, be covered for the treatment you’re having if you were admitted to hospital, require treatment you would have had to stay in hospital for, live in an area served by an HCF-contracted HST provider and have a suitable home environment to be treated in.
### Eligibility criteria applies. You can access HCF Thank You offers after you’ve been a member for a week, and if your premiums are up to date. Excludes Ambulance Only and Overseas Visitors Health Cover. Offers and partners are subject to change without advance notice. See the HCF Thank You Terms available at hcf.com.au
~ All HCF members are eligible for at least 10% discount on HCF Pet Insurance. HCF Ruby and Diamond members get a 15% discount. Existing Manchester Unity Pet Insurance policies are not eligible for discounts under HCF Thank You. Visit the HCF Thank You page for further information. Where relevant, increased discount will be applied automatically at first renewal after advancement in HCF Thank You tier. HCF Pet Insurance is issued by The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd ABN 78 090 584 473 (AFSL 241436). The insurance is distributed and promoted by The Hospitals Contribution Fund of Australia Limited (HCF) ABN 68 000 026 746 (AFSL 241414) and arranged and administered by PetSure (Australia) Pty Ltd ABN 95 075 949 923 (AFSL 420183). Any advice provided is general only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determination, available at hcf.com.au/insurance/pet, before deciding if the product is right for you and please do not assume that pet insurance and health insurance are similar. HCF may receive a commission of up to 17% of the premium for promoting HCF Pet Insurance policies. For more information, contact HCF on 1800 630 681 or firstname.lastname@example.org. HCF Pet Insurance is not part of HCF's health insurance business. Please do not assume that pet insurance and health insurance are similar.
This communication contains information which is copyright to The Hospitals Contribution Fund of Australia Limited (HCF). It should not be copied, disclosed or distributed without the authority of HCF. Except as required by law, HCF does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that this communication is free from errors, virus, interception or interference. All reasonable efforts have been taken to ensure the accuracy of material contained on this website. It’s not intended that this website be comprehensive or render advice. HCF members should rely on authoritative advice they seek from qualified practitioners in the health and medical fields as the information provided on this website is general information only and may not be suitable to individual circumstances or health needs. Please check with your health professional before making any dietary, medical or other health decisions as a result of reading this website.