HOW PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE WORKS
WHO DOES IT COVER?
Australians aged between 55 and 74 for a number of specified injuries, such as some common fractures, dislocations requiring surgery under anaesthesia, 2nd or 3rd degree burns to 5% or more of the body, and death caused by an accident in Australia.
HOW MUCH DOES IT PAY?
Depending on your level of cover, a lump sum of up to $15,000 for some specified injuries and up to $50,000 for death as a result of an accident (for the $50,000 level of cover).
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Per person, it’s $3.20 a week for $25,000 death cover, and $6.35 a week for $50,000 death cover.
WHAT CAN I USE IT FOR?
You can spend your lump sum payment from Personal Accident Insurance however you choose. It could be used towards anything you like, including out-of-pocket costs like:
- Petrol, parking fees, cabs and tolls – if you can’t catch public transport anymore.
- Doctors’ fees and medications – check-ups and tests you need before and after your hospital treatment, and medications as part of your recovery.
- Home help – hiring someone to do the cleaning, shopping and gardening if you can’t.
- Recovery services – ongoing rehabilitation and support services such as physiotherapy and aqua-aerobics.
WHAT DOES IT COVER?
Some of the injuries covered include:
- fractured ankle, upper arm, lower leg, nose, jaw, hip and rib
- dislocated knee, hip, elbow, wrist, and finger, provided they require surgery under anaesthesia; and
- 2nd or 3rd degree burns to 5% or more of the body.
The Product Disclosure Statement and Financial Services Guide has a full list of all injuries covered.
- Multiple claims: you can claim for multiple events on your policy, up to a maximum total of $25,000 or $50,000+, depending on the level of cover you take out. The maximum benefit paid for all specified injuries caused by the same accident is $7,500 on the $25,000 level of cover and $15,000 on the $50,000 level of cover.
- Pays in addition to your other insurances: you can claim on Personal Accident even if you’ve received, or are eligible to receive, money through other insurance policies.
- One low price for all: For singles, it’s under 50 cents per day for $25,000 death cover and under $1 a day for $50,000 death cover.
- Guaranteed acceptance if you're a permanent resident of Australia and aged between 55-74.
- Premium won't increase based on age.
- No medical questionnaires or exams.
We’re here to help
At HCF, we have an Australian based call centre with expert consultants ready to talk with you about our range of Life cover.
If you have any questions or need more information, call our Life Solutions Team on 1800 560 855.
When taking out Personal Accident Insurance, it’s important to know what the cover does and doesn’t include. Some of the details are :
- Covered accidents: your injury needs to be the result of an “external, violent and visible event” to be considered an accident. This would generally cover injuries caused by slips, trips, wounds and collisions.
- Events not covered - Personal Accident Insurance won’t cover injuries or death that result from intentional self-injury or an accident that occurs on or before the cover commencement date, or outside of Australia. Other exclusions apply – see the PDS.
- Personal Accident Insurance does not provide cover for illnesses or heart attacks.
Please consider the combined Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) available by calling 13 13 34 or clicking here. You should consider your financial situation, objectives, and needs before deciding on this product as any advice provided does not take these into account.
Personal Accident Insurance is issued by our own HCF Life Insurance Company Pty Ltd. ABN 37 001 831 250, AFSL 236 806 (HCF Life). HCF Life is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Hospitals Contribution Fund of Australia Limited, ABN 68 000 026 746, AFSL 241 414 (HCF). The premiums for the life insurance products are paid to HCF Life. HCF distributes Personal Accident Cover and receives commission from HCF Life for their sale of 40% of the first year’s premium plus an additional commission of 80% of HCF Life’s underwriting profit each year calculated as premiums less claims and expenses. HCF’s staff receive an incentive depending on the annual premium of these products which they sell. This will not exceed 20% of the first year’s premium.
*Offer applies across all HCF Life insurance products and will be applied to the second month premiums on all new policies applied for before 31st August 2019. One month free applies to the second month of premiums and will be discounted from your monthly statement. Offer does not apply if you cancel your policy during the cooling off period. Eligibility criteria applies.