The easy way to protect your income
Our Income Assist insurance pays you a monthly benefit when you are unable to work due to sickness or injury.
Some of the benefits include:
- It pays up to 75% of your average monthly income for up to 12 months (average $6000 per month)
- Additional $500 monthly benefit paid for three months to cover pre-school, child care expenses and/or bed confinement
- Accessible after being unable to work for 30 days
- Available to those working as little as 21 hours per week
- Premiums may be tax deductible
Can I apply for Income Assist insurance if I'm self-employed?
Yes you can, provided you’ve been self-employed for at least 12 months.
Are pre-existing conditions covered?
No. Pre-existing conditions aren’t covered under this policy.
Am I covered if I was made redundant?
No, unfortunately redundancy isn’t covered.
I have two jobs and work more than 21 hours on each. Will I be covered for both jobs if I become sick and unable to work?
You can only be covered for one job. You’ll have to decide which you’d like to be covered for.
Can I apply on behalf of my child, who’s a dependant on my health cover?
Cover is only available for people aged 18 - 54. Each person has to apply for their own Income Assist cover.
Is depression and anxiety covered under Income Assist Insurance?
We won’t pay a benefit for any mental illness or any associated disease or disorder unless you receive a workers' compensation payment as a result of your condition.
Important things to know
When taking out HCF Income Assist, it’s important to know what your cover does and doesn’t include.
- Pre-existing conditions: Income Assist doesn’t pay for recurrences of a medical condition you had before taking out the policy. For example, if you had a stroke before taking out Income Assist cover, you won’t receive a payout if you have another stroke. However, you can still claim for other illnesses covered by the policy.
- Cover for mental illness: mental illness isn’t covered unless you receive a workers' compensation payment as a result.
- Redundancy: Income Assist doesn’t cover you if you’re made redundant from your job.
Please consider the combined Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG). You should consider your financial situation, objectives, and needs before deciding on this product as any advice provided does not take these into account.
Income Assist is issued by our own HCF Life Insurance Company Pty Ltd. ABN 37 001 831 250, AFSL 236 806 (HCF Life). HCF Life is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Hospitals Contribution Fund of Australia Limited, ABN 68 000 026 746, AFSL 241 414 (HCF). The premiums for the life insurance products are paid to HCF Life. HCF distributes Income Assist and receives commission from HCF Life for their sale of 40% of the first year’s premium plus an additional commission of 80% of HCF Life’s underwriting profit each year calculated as premiums less claims and expenses. HCF’s staff receive an incentive depending on the annual premium of these products which they sell. This will not exceed 20% of the first year’s premium.