Affordable financial protection against serious illness
Critical Illness Cover pays a cash lump sum of up to $50,000 for a number of covered illnesses including certain cancers and cardiovascular illnesses+. You can spend this money as you wish.
Cover starts from less than $1 a day (based on $50,000 single cover for a 35 year old).
Serious illnesses can be financially stressful
Recovering from a serious illness can take time. Chemotherapy, recovery from surgery, and getting back to full-time work can take months. You also need to consider additional costs such as:
- Lifestyle adjustments: if your illness affects your mobility you might need to hire home help, or make modifications to your home
- Follow-up visits to the doctor
- Prescription medications
- Ongoing rehabilitation services such as physiotherapy and aqua-aerobics
How critical illness cover works
Critical Illness Cover pays you a lump sum of up to $50,000 if you're diagnosed with a covered illness in Australia+. You can have the money ready to use however you choose as the bills come in.
Additional benefits include:
- Fast payouts: on average we pay approved claims within 5 working days of receiving the required documents
- Easy application process: apply in minutes with no medical questionnaires or examinations
- Great value on family cover^: cover your partner and kids for one low price
Important things to know
When taking out Critical Illness Cover, it’s important to know what your cover does and doesn’t include.
- Covered illnesses: Critical Illness Cover doesn't cover every type of serious illness. The Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) contains a table of illnesses that are covered and what is excluded.
- Payout Amounts: $25,000 and $50,000 are the maximum payouts you could receive for a covered illness. Payouts for some illnesses are less than these amounts. The PDS tells you what the payout amount is for each covered illness.
- Pre-existing conditions: Critical Illness Cover doesn’t pay for recurrences of a medical condition you’ve suffered before you take out the policy. For example, if you’ve already had a stroke before taking out the policy, you won’t receive a payout if you have another stroke. However you can still claim for other illnesses covered by the policy.
- 30-day money back guarantee: if you change your mind about Critical Illness Cover, you can cancel it in the first 30 days and receive a full refund of your premiums.
+ Cover excludes pre-existing conditions. No benefit is payable for serious illnesses that occur on the commencement date or within 90 days of the cover commencing. Does not cover illnesses diagnosed, or medical procedures undertaken, outside Australia.
^ Family cover extends to everyone listed on your HCF membership.