Plum, hazelnut and orange free-form tart
Bursting with flavour, this easy tart is a perfect treat on a cold day.
Preparation time: 15 mins (+ 30 mins chilling time)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 12 (as a dessert)
- 3 tbsp hazelnut meal
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 1 egg white (of 60g egg), whisked
- 400g red-fleshed plums, sliced
- 1 large orange, skin and white
- pith removed, segmented
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk (of 60g egg),
- lightly whisked
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- Ice-cream for serving (optional)
- 160g (1 cup) wholemeal plain flour
- 45g (¼ cup) rice flour
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 60g light margarine
- 3 tbsp chilled water
- To make the pastry, put flours, icing sugar and margarine in a small food processor. Cover and process until well combined. Add enough water and process until mixture starts to come together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and form a ball. Press into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fan-forced). Combine hazelnut meal, icing sugar and egg white in a bowl. Lightly dust a piece of baking paper, big enough to cover a large baking tray, with flour. Place pastry on paper and roll out to form a 30cm circle. Place paper with pastry on the baking tray.
- Spread hazelnut mixture over the pastry, leaving a 4cm edge of pastry uncovered. Arrange plums and orange over the top and sprinkle with brown sugar. Fold over edge of pastry to partially cover fruit. Brush edge with egg yolk and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is light golden. Serve warm with ice-cream, if you like.
Per serve (tart only): 561kJ, protein 3g, total fat 3.7g (sat. fat 0.5g), carbs 21g, fibre 3g, sodium 27mg
Recipe courtesy of Diabetic Living. For more recipes go to diabeticliving.com.au