Baked chicken and mushroom risotto
This perfect winter dish bakes in the oven, so you get perfect risotto without all the stirring.
Preparation time: 15 mins (+ resting time)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 4 (as a main)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 210g (1 cup) Doongara or other long-grain rice
- 200g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Massel salt reduced chicken style stock cube
- 560ml (2¼ cups) boiling water
- 500g skinless chicken tenderloins, trimmed of fat, sinew removed
- 25g (1 cup) baby rocket leaves
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grated lemon zest, to serve
- Dill or parsley sprigs (optional), to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium stoveproof and ovenproof dish over medium. Add the onion, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes or until the onion softens.
- Add rice and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add combined stock cube and water. Cover and bring to a simmer. Transfer dish to oven. Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes each side, or until just cooked. Diagonally slice the chicken and set aside.
- Remove risotto from the oven. Place chicken and rocket on top of the rice. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes. Toss chicken and rocket through the rice with the parmesan. Season with pepper.
Serve topped with lemon zest and dill or parsley, if you like.
Nutrition info per serve: 1666kJ, protein 35g, total fat 6g (sat. fat 1.7g), carbs 47g, fibre 6g, sodium 374mg
Recipe courtesy of Diabetic Living. For more recipes go to diabeticliving.com.au