HCF Research Foundation (ABN 40 577 146 605) (the Foundation) is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act), and holds the personal information it collects in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act, as well as other relevant State legislation dealing with privacy and health records.
What sort of personal information do we usually collect?
Personal information is broadly, any information about or relating to you where you are identified by us, or can be identified. Sensitive information is a special subset of personal information which includes your health information.
The Foundation may collect the following personal information:
- the name and contact details (such as email, postal address, telephone number) of any third party organisations who the Foundation may request from time to time to suggest areas for research;
- the name and contact details of anyone who applies for funding by the Foundation including any representatives of the applicant (for example, a Research Project Administrator) or third party organisations who the Foundation decides to directly or indirectly fund including any representatives of those organisations;
- the name, contact details and educational qualifications of any investigators referred to in your application for funding;
- the names and contact details of referees who support your application for funding; and
- information you provide when you email or telephone or write to the Foundation with an enquiry such as your email address or phone number.
Where do we collect personal information from?
Most of the time we collect personal information directly from the individual such as from expressions of interest or applications you submit or agreements you sign. We may also collect personal information about you from third parties, such as referees who we ask to assess the scientific merit of applications.
If we cannot collect this personal information we may not be able to assess applications for funding, or provide or administer that funding.
How we use and disclose personal information
The Foundation is a charitable trust that provides funds to researchers to conduct health services research. Personal information collected by the Foundation will be used or disclosed to assess applications for funding, administer the funding, respond to enquiries and for reporting and publication purposes.
Protection and quality of personal information
The Foundation takes reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information it collects is accurate, up-to-date and complete, and when being used or disclosed, relevant for the purpose of the use or disclosure.
The Foundation also takes reasonable steps to store all personal information securely, and to protect it from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Where the Foundation holds personal information that it no longer needs, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify that information where it is lawful to do so.
Access to and correction of personal information
You are entitled to access and seek correction of the personal information we hold about you subject to certain exceptions. If you wish to access or correct your personal information, please contact us on the details below. We will assess your request in accordance with our obligations under the Australian Privacy Principles, and will advise you in writing if we are unable to grant access and the reasons why.
Further information and complaints
If you would like further information about how we handle your personal information, or if you wish to make a complaint because you believe that we may have breached your privacy, please contact us by email to the HCF Research Foundation Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not satisfied with the result of your complaint to us, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner using the details below.
Phone: 1300 363 992
Post: GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
Online form: www.oaic.gov.au (Privacy Complaint Form)
Last updated: March 2018