What is a ‘Councillor’?
Councillors play an important role within our governance framework. The eligibility criteria, term of office, along with the role and responsibilities are set out in the HCF Constitution and Councillor Charter. There are two types of Councillors:
- Elected Councillors – 16 individuals elected by policyholders eligible to vote (see Nomination for Elected Councillor positions below for information about the next election)
- Board Councillors – 8 individuals consisting of the Chair of the HCF Board and seven HCF Directors
Role of Councillors
The primary role of the Councillors is to see that:
- accepted governance standards are properly implemented and maintained;
- the organisation is professionally governed and managed for the benefit of all policyholders; and
- the Board is held to account for its leadership and management.
As the Members of the Company for the purposes of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth), Councillors also exercise powers that either the Act or the Constitution require are reserved for a general meeting. These include:
- electing and/or removing directors;
- appointing and/or removing the auditors;
- approving alterations to the Constitution;
- changing the company type;
- calling meetings and/or proposing resolutions (in limited circumstances); and
- setting director remuneration and approving certain financial transactions (such as related party transactions).
As HCF is a company limited by guarantee, in the event it is wound up each Councillor undertakes to contribute up to $2 towards the property of the Company where required.
The Constitution prohibits the distribution of any property or profit of the Company to Councillors and requires that all surplus upon winding-up is given or transferred to a person or entity with similar objects to that of HCF.
List of Councillors
At the 2017 HCF Annual General Meeting, Ms Sonia Casanova, Mr Malcolm Fisher, Ms Cindy Hansen and Ms Susan Neill were welcomed as Elected Councillors.
- John C. Barker
- Ronda A. Bramble
- Sonia J. Casanova
- Penelope A. Coombes
- John A.B. Dunlop
- Malcolm M. Fisher
- Cindy L. Hansen
- William H. Hardman
- Susan L. Neill
- Anthony W. O’Hare
- Richard K.S. Phoon
- Vivek Prabhu
- David S. Reid
- Denise M. Robinson
- Juliet Seifert
- Anthony E. Stephenson
- John M. Barrington
- Stuart P. Coppock
- Robert J. Goaley
- Claire L. Jackson
- Mark. G Johnson
- Lisa M. McIntyre
- Chris E. Wright
- Jane T. Southwell
The next election for Elected Councillor positions will be held in 2020.