Frequently asked questions
- What’s changed about how I get my Private Health Insurance Tax Statement for 2019–20?
- Will I get a tax statement this year?
- Why do I need this information to lodge my tax return?
- When can I expect my tax statement?
- Can I get my tax information over the phone?
- I have health cover on a shared (family or couples) policy. How do I get my tax information?
- I don’t understand my tax statement. Who can help me?
- Why didn’t my adult dependant children get a tax statement?
- Why is my tax statement showing $0?
- What does the Australian Government rebate mean for my private health cover?
- What if my income changed this year?
You can also get a copy by:
We’ve created a tax statement for you if you’re a member who:
- had private health insurance during the 2019–20 financial year
- paid a premium.
We won’t have a tax statement for you if you’re a dependant child or a member who only has Overseas Visitor Health Cover. If you had HCF Accident Only Basic cover along with Overseas Visitor Health Cover, we’ll create a tax statement for you.
There are three reasons:
- Your tax statement shows the Australian Government rebate amount on your premium.
- The tax statement shows how many days you had the right private hospital cover during 2019–20, if less than 366 you may need to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge.
- If you took out hospital cover once you’re aged over 30 you may have a Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) loading on your premium. Your statement will show if this applies to you and when it’s due to expire. It’s important to understand the LHC part of your premium isn't eligible for the rebate even if you qualify for a rebate overall.
No, this is private information we can’t share over the phone, but you can order it through our self-service hotline by calling 13 14 39 and pressing 1.
You can also get your tax statement online. Log in to HCF's online member services or download our My Membership app.
The member listed as the primary policyholder can ask for all the information about your cover and decide where it’s sent.
The primary policyholder can get a copy of the tax statement for each adult on your policy by:
Our guide to reading and using your tax statement is a good place to start.
Dependant children aged 18–25 can be covered on their parents’ policy. But the tax statement will only list the adults on the policy who aren’t dependant children.
If someone on your policy is not named on the tax statement needs private health information to complete their tax return, let us know. Call us on 13 13 34 Mon–Fri: 8am–8pm, Sat–Sun: 9am–5pm (AEST/AEDT). Or you can email us through our Contact Us page.
There could be a few reasons. You might have prepaid your premiums ahead of the 2019–20 financial year or you could be a new member who joined before 1 July 2020 and haven’t paid any premiums yet.
The rebate is good news: it’s an amount the government pays towards the cost of your health insurance premiums. It’s important to know it depends on your (and your family's) income though: the more you earn the lower your rebate will be and if you earn over a certain amount, or threshold, you won't get a rebate.
When it comes to tax time, you’ll need your Australian Government rebate information to fill in your tax return. You need to use the rebate amounts exactly as they appear on the tax statement when you lodge your tax return.
The Australian Government rebate is income tested, so if what you earn has changed it might be worth checking what this means for your premiums and the tax you pay.
It’s easy to update your income details. Log in to HCF's online member services or our My Membership app and go to My Cover to update your details. If your employer pays for your cover, call us on 13 13 34 Mon–Fri: 8am–8pm, Sat–Sun: 9am–5pm (AEST/AEDT).
MANAGE YOUR COVER ON THE GO
It’s quick to check or update your details, control how you hear from us, make a claim and more when you download the My Membership app.
USING YOUR MEMBERSHIP
Our member guide has everything you need to know about using your cover like understanding gaps, waiting periods and our HCF Thank You rewards program.
#1 in trust
When it comes to health, you can count on us. We were voted Australia's most-trusted health fund by Roy Morgan Net Trust survey the last 2 years running.
Tax time sorted
Get more information about your tax statement.