Detecting small problems before they become big ones
We have partnered with MoleMap, Australia’s leading skin care detection service, to provide our members with comprehensive full-body skin checks for early skin cancer detection and prevention, free of charge.
The checks are performed by a melanographer at our participating branches, on selected dates, and any imaged spots of concern will be sent to a dermatologist for diagnosis after your appointment.
- The check only takes 15 minutes.
- Results are sent within 2 weeks.
- Members can book 2 weeks in advance (appointments are limited).
A 15-minute check could save your life.
Not a member?
The good news is non-members may be able to get a free skin check as well. We'll be running the checks in selected HCF branches in Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia between March - April 2021. See the schedule below for dates and locations.
DATES AND LOCATIONS
Please book in your free skin check by getting in touch with 1 of our branches below. Bookings open 2 weeks in advance (appointments are limited).
What COVID-19 SAFETY PRACTICES will be in place?
Your health and safety is our number 1 priority, so we’ll be implementing COVID-19 safety practices during your skin checks, like:
- staff will use masks and hand sanitiser, and have temperature checks
- check-in points for visitors
- safe distances between visitors including no more than 2 people waiting at a time
- increased time between appointments to allow for extra cleaning.
Skin checks take 15 minutes. Please arrive no more than 5 minutes before your appointment.
How does it work?
- A MoleMap melanographer will welcome you at reception and give you a consent form to review and sign. They can answer any questions you have both before and after your appointment.
- Once in the consulting room, the melanographer will ask you a few questions before giving you a gown and asking you to dress down to your underwear. The melanographer will then complete a head-to-toe skin check using a specialist hand-held device called a dermatoscope.
- The melanographer looks for spots of concern and will image these spots using a specialised MoleMap dermoscopic imaging camera. If there are no identifiable spots of concern, they'll let you know and you won't need a report.
- The melanographer will also provide you with important skin cancer information to help reduce your chances of developing skin cancer in the future.
What happens after my appointment?
The melanographer will forward any imaged spots of concern to their dermatologists for review and diagnosis. Within 2 weeks of your appointment, MoleMap will notifiy you when your dermatologist report is ready to download and review. It will include comments and any recommendations for treatment.
What if treatment is required?
Molemap is a detection, diagnosis and surveillance service and doesn't provide treatment, like removing moles. If your report recommends further action you should book in to see your GP or referring doctor, take your dermatologist report with you, and they will advise you of your treatment options.
What’s the cost?
The MoleMap skin checks are usually valued at $229. However, they're free to both HCF members and non-members who can attend 1 of the skin check sessions in our selected branches. Limited spots are available, so call 1 of the branches to secure your appointment.
Where can I get my skin check?
MoleMap Skin Check booths will be at selected HCF branches in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia. See table above for dates and opening hours.
How can I book?
The free skin checks will run in selected HCF branches (see table above) and bookings will open 2 weeks in advance. To secure your spot, please call the branch where you'd like to have your appointment.
I'm not an HCF member. Can I still get a free skin check?
You may be able to get a free skin check. To secure your spot, please get in touch with 1 of our branches listed above. Bookings open 2 weeks in advance.
*Roy Morgan Net Trust Survey 2018, 2019 and 2020.
FREE SKIN CHECKS POSTPONED
In these uncertain times, we’ve taken extra steps to protect your health and ours. You can stay up-to-date with what we’re doing on our COVID-19 page.
Between February–May 2020, we were offering HCF members access to free skin checks by a melanographer across our branch network. But because of the coronavirus situation, we’ve decided to postpone these skin checks for now.
We’re so sorry for the hassle but know you’ll understand the steps we need to take to keep us all safe.
READ MORE ABOUT SKIN HEALTH
YOUR SKIN CHECK CHECKLIST
If caught early, skin cancer can be successfully treated so checking your skin regularly is vital.
5 SUN SAFETY MYTHS
Before heading outdoors this summer, brush up on your 'slip, slop, slap, seek and slide’ knowledge.
WHY AUSTRALIANS NEED TO BE SUN SMART
Australia has some of the highest UV radiation levels in the world, increasing our skin cancer risk.
SKIN CARE TIPS: GOOD HABITS FOR HEALTHY SKIN
Having skin that glows with good health doesn’t require a huge investment in expensive skin products.