SERIOUS ILLNESSES CAN CAUSE FINANCIAL STRESS
Critical illness or medical trauma can hit when you least expect it, and recovery can take time. A major illness could leave you unable to work, while still having to cover your costs of living and any additional expenses that result from your illness.
Critical Illness Cover pays you a lump sum of up to $50,000 if you’re diagnosed in Australia with a specified illness (depending on your chosen benefit level)+. You can use the money however you choose, giving you financial breathing space during your treatment and recovery.
WHAT DOES IT COVER?
You’ll get up to $50,000 if you have one of a number of critical illnesses and medical events+, including:
- heart attack, heart disease*, stroke
- certain types of cancer – including breast and skin cancer
- stays of more than 10 days in intensive care and up to $25,000 for stays of 5-9 days in intensive care.
Benefit amounts vary depending on the illness, your chosen benefit level and in some instances the treatment required.
- No excess: you don’t pay anything if you make a claim.
- Fast payouts: on average we pay approved claims within 5 business days of receiving your documents.
- Easy application process: apply in minutes with no medical questionnaires or tests
- Great value family cover: cover everyone on your HCF family health insurance for one low price.^
- Cooling off period: when you receive your policy document from us, you have 30 days to check whether the policy meets your needs. Within this time you may cancel your policy by contacting us and receive a full refund of any money paid provided you haven’t made a claim.
It’s important to know what your cover does and doesn’t include.
- Covered illnesses: Critical Illness Cover doesn’t cover every type of serious illness. The combined Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) explains which illnesses are covered and which are excluded.
- Payout amounts: $25,000 and $50,000 are the maximum payouts you could receive for a covered illness. Payouts for some illnesses are less than these amounts. The PDS tells you what the payout amount is for each covered illness.
- Pre-existing conditions: Critical Illness Cover doesn’t pay doesn’t pay for illnesses that relate to a medical condition you had before you took out your policy.
- For all critical illnesses: cover doesn’t start until 90 days after the Cover Commencement Date.
+ Cover excludes pre-existing conditions and illnesses not specified in the PDS, as well as illnesses not diagnosed or treated in Australia. Applicants must be aged 18 to 54.
*Bypass 3 or 4 coronary artery, open-heart surgery, surgery of the aorta.
^ Family cover only available to HCF members with family health insurance. Cover extends to everyone listed on your HCF membership, provided they are eligible to take out cover.
Please consider the combined Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) available by calling 13 13 34 or clicking here. You should consider your financial situation, objectives, and needs before deciding on this product as any advice provided does not take these into account.
Critical Illness Cover is issued by our own HCF Life Insurance Company Pty Ltd. ABN 37 001 831 250, AFSL 236 806 (HCF Life). HCF Life is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Hospitals Contribution Fund of Australia Limited, ABN 68 000 026 746, AFSL 241 414 (HCF). The premiums for the life insurance products are paid to HCF Life. HCF distributes Critical Illness Cover and receives commission from HCF Life for their sale of 40% of the first year’s premium plus an additional commission of 80% of HCF Life’s underwriting profit each year calculated as premiums less claims and expenses. HCF’s staff receive an incentive depending on the annual premium of these products which they sell. This will not exceed 20% of the first year’s premium.